Sunday, March 15, 2020

Cookbooks for Non-cooks

Unfortunately, I am not much of a cook. I didn't grow up watching my mom cook because she didn't. When we had cooking and baking class in high school, I was content to let someone else take over the spatula while I took over the sponge and dish soap or even the broom. 

But coming to America meant I had to cook my own meals and with the appearance of children, I had to cook kid-friendly healthy meals. AND with my mom staying with us during the school year, it meant I had to also balance my meals to accommodate her tastes.

What a conundrum! So although I can read the instructions in a cookbook very well, some of the cooking terms just fly over my head and when instructions include statements like "cook until done", you know that spells disaster as you can end up with something overcooked or undercooked. As a non-cook, I couldn't know for sure when the cooking is "done".

Thankfully, I watch the Food Network, and I was introduced to Ree Drummond, Pioneer Woman. I don't cook with a TV in front of me, but I can cook with a book in front of me. I can cook if there are step-by-step pictures showing me exactly how something should look so I'll know if I am doing the right thing.
This is Ree Drummond's chow mein recipe. I added shrimp as my protein.

Enter the Pioneer Woman's cookbooks! I am forever indebted to her patience in taking step-by-step photo instructions for her recipes. With these, I can tell if I am doing the right thing or not. I feel more confident when I compare what's in my pan to the pictures in her books. 

Another aspect of her cookbooks that I like is that she will say how long something takes to cook. This eliminates the ambiguity of "cook till done" and if you still doubt yourself even after looking at the pictures, you can use the handy-dandy timer to make sure you're cooking according to specifications.

Some of our favorite recipes come from her books. Of all her cookbooks, I refer to her Come and Get It! and Dinnertime editions the most. We love the slow cooker recipes, the stir-fry vegetables, chow mein, as well as the beautiful roasted vegetables recipes. See, I told you I am trying to cook healthier foods for the kids and the Guama. 
I've tried a gazillion cookbooks. Others were just too wordy or just too vague. In this case, the Pioneer Woman's are just right for this by-the-book cook!

If you haven't heard, her new cookbook is out. Check them out here.


Any purchases made through my site will help with the costs of maintaining The Mama Travels website. Thank you in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment